I’ll admit, my family isn’t a huge fan-base for the poor misunderstood tortellini. Usually that means I have had a long day and will be popping open a can of pesto to pour on top, BANG – DONE. See? I have those days too. This, however, was awesome.
Do you see that creamy nonsense happening? That’s heavy cream in there. That plants this recipe firmly in the “not skinny jeans friendly” department. I’m sure you can lighten it up, but don’t blame me if it doesn’t taste the same. This had all my minions smacking their lips obnoxiously at the table. This is doubled, making approximately 12 servings. You can halve it if you don’t have quite so many little monsters to feed.
(While you’re at it, why not check out my fairly quick Italian bread? It takes less than an hour from start to finish!)
- 2 (16 ounce) packages cheese tortellini
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with garlic and onion
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the tortellini, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- While you get the tortellini going, combine the tomatoes, spinach, salt, pepper, basil and garlic in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir until the mixture begins to bubble.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, milk and cream. Stir this mixture into the saucepan along with the Parmesan cheese. Heat through, then reduce heat to low, and simmer until thick, about 2 minutes.
- Drain the tortellini, but do not rinse, then pour them into the saucepan with the sauce. Stir to coat, and serve.