Sometimes you want to invite company over. You want a swanky dinner, complete with appetizers and flaming desserts.
This is not the recipe for that time.
This is a cheesy noodle casserole. It’s not glamorous. It’s not very photogenic. But it will make you say “mmmm” and ask for another scoop.
This recipe was born out of the end of the week/month scrambling that happens when you realize you have more days than you thought until payday, and not enough to make for dinner. It’s also good for when you’re being completely lazy, because you can make it ahead of time and it heats up like a dream. You know, like if you want to prepare dinner and then go take a nap. Or catch up on Grey’s without being disturbed. It’s pretty forgiving with ingredients too, so feel free to play around with it. I do.
- 1 pound wide egg noodles
- 2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar jack
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook egg noodles al dente, or just under, and set aside.
- Brown and drain ground beef.
- Add spices and tomato sauce to beef. Mix thoroughly and heat through.
- Take cottage cheese, sour cream, and ricotta and mix with noodles.
- In a 13x9 pan -- layer noodles, meat, noodles, meat.
- Top with shredded cheese, and cover with foil.
- Bake 45 minutes.